On Tue, Jul 28, 2009 at 4:38 PM, McGrude<mcgr...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 28, 2009 at 1:32 PM, iJohn<zjboyguard-ggro...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> Yet another reason to move to Snow Leopard this fall ...
>
> No need to wait.   Download monolingual...

Thanks for the suggestion, but I'll wait. I'm still too new to the Mac
& to OS X and thus (obviously) too naive about the basics. I'm not
particularly squeezed for space at the moment so I'll stay with what
Apple has blessed rather than go out on a limb.

I'm just surprised that the universal binaries were used for OS X. It
appears that during the migration to the Intel Macs back circa 2006
that Apple essentially "bloated up" OS X by including binaries for
both CPUs. Now with the advent of Snow Leopard only the Intel binaries
will be installed and ... surprise!! ... the size of OS X suddenly
shrinks. Such technical genius!

The situation reminds me of those wonderful department store jewelry
sales offering you 30% off! What is not mentioned is that they
increased the list price by 80% before putting it on sale. Such a
deal! ;-)

Anyway .... to return to the original poster's question, why wouldn't
his PPC partition boot on his mini? The first question which comes to
my mind is if the OS used on his PPC also used the universal binaries.
I assume that if it's anything earlier than the 10.4.4 (Intel) update
to Tiger that there's no way that it could work on an Intel Mac Mini.

-irrational john

-irrational john