At 10:14 PM -0400 8/3/2009, Stanton Mitrany wrote:
>the Dock's Mail icon bouncing attracted my attention. I clicked on
>it and was informed that (or something like this) "directory is
>broken. To fix it, you need to quit Mail."

Hate it when that happens.

>I obeyed, and then re-launched Mail. I was confronted with what
>appeared to be an Apple set-up application, which asked me to begin
>what looked to be a multi-step process to locate, if I remember
>correctly, something like my Mail database.

Quit Mail.

Launch Disk Utility, and run a Verify Disk pass on your HD - makes
sure everything is ok from the file system's point of view.  If it
finds any errors, repair them.

Backup "~/Library/Mail" -- just in case.

Move "~/Library/Mail/Envelope Index" to your desktop.

Launch Mail and let it re-index things.

That "Envelope Index" is a sqlite database that gets corrupted easily.

>Fortunately, I had done a backup with Time Machine only this morning.

Good.

>But this is scary. I've never before in 22 years as a Macintosh user
>encountered anything like this.

Murphy was gunning for you.

>Could this issue be caused by a fairly large number of items in my
>Inbox (about 36,000?) Usually I pare it down dramatically when it
>gets up to about 40,000. Since having so many Inbox items hasn't
>caused problems in the past, I don't know whether this might be
>related to the issue I'm experiencing now or not.

Personally, I would never let any inbox grow to over a few hundred
messages.  Organize things - Mail supports folders with multiple
mailboxes.

HTH.
- Dan.
--
- Psychoceramic Emeritus; South Jersey, USA, Earth.