2009/8/4 Dan <dantear...@gmail.com>:

> At 10:14 PM -0400 8/3/2009, Stanton Mitrany wrote:
>>the Dock's Mail icon bouncing attracted my attention. I clicked on
>>it and was informed that (or something like this) "directory is
>>broken. To fix it, you need to quit Mail."
>
> Hate it when that happens.
>
>>I obeyed, and then re-launched Mail. I was confronted with what
>>appeared to be an Apple set-up application, which asked me to begin
>>what looked to be a multi-step process to locate, if I remember
>>correctly, something like my Mail database.
>
> Quit Mail.
>
> Launch Disk Utility, and run a Verify Disk pass on your HD - makes
> sure everything is ok from the file system's point of view.  If it
> finds any errors, repair them.
>
> Backup "~/Library/Mail" -- just in case.
>
> Move "~/Library/Mail/Envelope Index" to your desktop.
>
> Launch Mail and let it re-index things.
>
> That "Envelope Index" is a sqlite database that gets corrupted easily.

All good points, but I would also suggest a reboot in Safe Boot mode,
which will fsck the main hard disk automatically. Journalling
notwithstanding, errors do accumulate. This is the easiest way to
check the boot drive. It's that or boot an OS X install CD & run Disk
Utility from there - more work - or rely on a dual-boot machine with 2
or more copies of OS X, which few people have.

> Personally, I would never let any inbox grow to over a few hundred
> messages.  Organize things - Mail supports folders with multiple
> mailboxes.

That seems a bit much!

I have hundreds of folders inside folders, but still, I archive all my
email (except spam). I have a 3GB+ mailbox in T'bird with all my mail
since 1996 in it. Hard to keep that to under "a few hundred messages
per folder"!

Email: lpro...@cix.co.uk • GMail/GoogleTalk/Orkut: lpro...@gmail.com
MSN: lpro...@hotmail.com • ICQ: 73187508