At 4:14 PM -0400 8/6/2009, Bill Connelly wrote:
>On Aug 6, 2009, at 2:44 PM, Dan wrote:
>
>>  Or... perhaps more likely, as there are other reports of permissions
>>  issues after installing 10.5.8 (see macfixit, etc)... Apple has
>>  farked the receipts linkage for this update.  Remember please that
>>  repairing permissions is the ancient fix to an ancient OS X
>>  10.0/.1/.2 problem.... The real solution is to simply not do it.
>
>After an update of this sort, what about using a Safe Boot to correct
>caches, and / or applejack to (sorry) Repair Permissions and do the
>rest in auto pilot mode? (refreshing caches, checking other files?)
>
>Don't do this either?

It would depend on what exactly Apple broke.  It could just make it
worse, on an already affected system.

At this point, I would recommend doing *nothing* unless something is
*noticeably* broken.  Give Apple a chance to fess up etc.

...There is a reason we don't recommend that people install OS
updates as soon as they're released.

- Dan.
--
- Psychoceramic Emeritus; South Jersey, USA, Earth.