On Sep 3, 2009, at 3:54 PM, Jeffrey Engle wrote:

> Here's the problem:
>       My wife buys something for me for Christmas/birthday etc. online....
> then you have paypal,ebay,amazon etc. emails with complete info in the
> subject line etc. to tell me all she bought.

ONly if YOUR email address is the one she's using for this.

> How can she "lock" an email to where I can't see it?
> I can't see the sender, the subject, the date, and the body of the
> email without a password?

No.

> we've tried two paypal accounts, different mail addresses all to no
> avail. We need something that will work with one family (my wife and
> I) computer... any ideas? mail plug-in perhaps? Jeff

Yes, it's simple...you each have to have your own email, paypal,
amazon, etc etc accounts, and your own login on the computer, so that
her email account info isn't stored in your keychain and vice-versa.
She'll have to log in as her to read her email, where all purchases on
her Amazon account go, and vice versa.

Only one of you can use it at a time, anyway, and so long as you're
using 10.4 (maybe 10.3, I forget when fast user switching was
introduced) switching between the two is fast and easy.

This is the basic function and rationale for having a multi-user
operating system.

If you insist on using one computer login, then make sure you don't
save your email logins in the keychain.

This gets tricky when you have shared media resources (one iTunes and
iPhoto library, for example) but those can be set so tht you can
access them from each account.

--
Bruce Johnson
University of Arizona