On Sep 7, 2009, at 7:09 PM, dorayme wrote:

> How do you find out on Google, if you don't have inside knowledge,
> why some models were called "smurfs"?

This is a good example of what we need to make sure we are teaching
the next generation of students, how to search, combine ideas and what
to look for. Yes, I know the answer off the top of my head, but you
may not know the cultural reference implied.

The first search for:
mac names smurf

Came up blank on the first page.

then
Mac model names smurf

got close, with a link to a Lowendmac.com page about the B & W with a
nickname listed of Smurf.

Then I realized that smurf is not an official, or even developmental
name of the machine, but one given to it by users. So I then googled
mac model nicknames smurf
and got a little closer, but still no win.

Now, however, if you do an image search for smurf, knowing the bare
history of apple computers will hopefully help you put the two
concepts together.

That search for smurf images will show you that they are blue skinned
and most are shown wearing white clothes.

That is how the Blue and white G3s got the nickname. But it does take
a bit of outside of the box thinking that is very valuable to learn
when almost all the information known to humankind is available with
just a few keystrokes.

Len