> Date: Tues, Sep 8 2009 4:52 am
> From: Len Gerstel

> Only one of those links even comes close to the explanation of Smurf,
> and that is the lowendmac that includes a picture of smurfs with no
> label saying that this is a smurf on the page. Others just say
> something to the effect of Nickname: Smurf with no explanation if you
> did not know what a smurf is.
>
> While smurfs were pretty ingrained in the US (and I believe European)
> culture of the 1970's and 80's there are many cultures that have never
> heard of them.

It is hard to see why finding out something is hard if you already
know it. On one page that came up on a reasonable search request,
there were some smurfs with red in them! I think red hats or boots, I
forget!

Anyway, you can see in all of this, the importance, when making
informative web pages, to have informative headings and text that can
be picked up in grabs by search engines. You can be very informative
in a long piece on something without it being search engine friendly.
I guess that writing with search engines in mind is not exactly a
skill easily learned and I am sure we can all imagine hilariously
clumsy attempts to learn this skill! <g>

--
dorayme