I saw there was new iTunes 9 available today, and thought I'd update.

I ran Software Update on my G5 and was offered QuickTime 7.6.4 instead.

I ran Software Update and upon reboot things seemed normal, but upon
the final Desktop screen a couple login items>startup applications
immediately crashed. I wanted iTunes 9, and I assume QT 7.6.4 was a
prerequisite, so I tried to run Software Update again, and it wouldn't
launch. NO applications would launch (I only tried Mail, Safari, and
QuickTime).

I wrote a crash report to Apple saying no apps would launch, and
attempted a Safe Boot.

Safe Boot didn't go well at all. I use verbose boot all the time, so I
see every boot. It abnormally stalled for a long time at the "BSD
root: disk 2, major 14, minor 8" line, and then when it finally
proceeded after a couple minutes, the stuff looked wrong, although I
can't be sure, I rarely Safe Boot. Here are some lines that "looked
wrong":

WARNING: mkext unexpectedly out of date w/rt Extensions folder
kernel[0]: can't remove kernel __LINKEDIT segment - in-kernel linker
needs it

Immediately after this last message the fans would start going full
bore, and then it rebooted again. This happened 3 times in a row while
I was attempting to complete a single Safe Boot.

The third time, I stepped away from the computer during the long
stall, and while I was away I heard it reboot, but I was unable to get
to the keyboard in time to use the Safe Boot option. Low and behold,
it booted normally, and now applications launch. I'm typing this in
Mail now. I did notice something else different in the verbose boot
dialog. Before this bad update experience it said "Matching service
count = 54" and now it says "Matching service count = 13".

I immediately went to Disk Utility and ran Verify Disk, and it
verified "OK" quickly, so I started a Repair Permissions. I also
started Software Update to see about iTunes 9. Software Update's
progress bar stalled for at least 5 minutes with nothing going on
(perhaps Apple Servers were being hammered?), but finally I as offered
iTunes 9 and it installed normally.

Disk Utility>Repair Permissions was another story. My permissions were
correct beforehand, but now MANY were wrong, including most all of the
Extensions Folder. I've had this permissions problem before, and
something seems wrong with Disk Utility for me. It's repairing
permissions alphabetically, going REALLY slow, one line at a time,
about 1 per second, and from past experience it should require at
least 2-3 hours to complete these thousands of wrong permissions. I'm
waiting for Disk Utility to complete now, and then I'll attempt to
complete a Safe Boot for the 4th time.

This hasn't been a good experience so far.