At 4:06 PM -0500 9/9/2009, Kris Tilford wrote:
>I saw there was new iTunes 9 available today, and thought I'd update.

heh.  Me too.  sigh.

This should teach us to never jump on Apple updates while the bits
are still damp!

>I ran Software Update on my G5 and was offered QuickTime 7.6.4 instead.

That first day, we tried to update four systems.  One was offered
just QT the others were offered both QT and iTunes.  NONE of the
updates were successful.

>I ran Software Update and upon reboot things seemed normal, but upon
>the final Desktop screen a couple login items>startup applications
>immediately crashed. I wanted iTunes 9, and I assume QT 7.6.4 was a
>prerequisite, so I tried to run Software Update again, and it wouldn't
>launch. NO applications would launch (I only tried Mail, Safari, and
>QuickTime).

Same as you, on two of the Macs (one Tiger one Leopard).  The 3rd Mac
failed to reboot.

I punted - went right for Single User Mode and AppleJack (all tasks).
Reboot and functionality was fine after that.

The 4th... Was a mess.  The install ran fully and the machine
rebooted but then kernel panic'd right after login.  It even panic'd
when logging in with the shift key down (so no startup items ran).
Single-user mode, AppleJack, reboot.... then some digging.  I quickly
discovered that no videos would play -- immediate kernel panic.  More
digging...  QuickTime was only partially installed.  @#$% Apple.  The
install log showed errors extracting the new files -- ie a
bad/corrupt/incomplete download --, but the installer went ahead and
slapped what it could into the system anyway!  Reverted that to its
backup.

>Disk Utility>Repair Permissions was another story. My permissions were
>correct beforehand, but now MANY were wrong, including most all of the
>Extensions Folder. I've had this permissions problem before, and
>something seems wrong with Disk Utility for me. It's repairing
>permissions alphabetically, going REALLY slow, one line at a time,
>about 1 per second, and from past experience it should require at
>least 2-3 hours to complete these thousands of wrong permissions. I'm
>waiting for Disk Utility to complete now, and then I'll attempt to
>complete a Safe Boot for the 4th time.

Something very foo there.  Maybe you've got a bad directory?

Just did the update on my Smurf this morning.  Got the usual hang on
the reboot, because the cache was improperly cleared.  AppleJack
fixed.  The repair permissions showed a few extras, beyond the
normal, but nothing too alarming.

FWIW,
- Dan.
--
- Psychoceramic Emeritus; South Jersey, USA, Earth.