On Sep 15, 2009, at 7:31 PM, nestamicky wrote:

> On 09-09-15 12:52 AM, Dan wrote:
>>
>> Personally, I prefer putting OS X on the IDE drive, so as to avoid
>> driver hassles.  If your SCSI interface *and* drive is significantly
>> faster, then consider moving your swapfiles over there.
>>
> This does sound a good idea, though I don't know how to do it.

Once you have it up and running on the IDE drive, you can use Carbon
Copy Cloner to copy it over to the SCSI, **IF** (see below)
>>  From the hardware pov...
>>
>> The built-in IDE in the Sawtooth is Ultra ATA/33 (33 MB/sec).
>>
>> Exactly what model PCI SCSI card?  What type of SCSI is it?  SCSI
>> ranges from 5 to over 300 MB/sec - all depends on the type.
>>

> The SCSI card is an Adaptec "SCSI Ultra 2LVD/SE". The chip is
> AIC-7815G. I found the card on Ebay:http://tinyurl.com/n7pddu The
> hard-drive is a Quantum Atlas 10KII 36.gb. I have two of those.

**IF** the card is Mac compatible and IF it is OS X Bootable. The card
you linked to does not appear to be Mac compatible according to
adaptec at:

http://www.adaptec.com/en-US/support/_eol/aaa_raid/AAA-131U2/

You may want to hit the swap list for a Mac compatible card.

Also, if you have never used a sever class drive in a desktop system,
watch out for heat. Those 36GB 10K drives get HOT. I recently went
through and was Low level formatting a bunch of them. Basically 1 1/2
hours of full writing to the disk. After that time, they were hot
enough to be uncomfortable to handle. Put that heat x2 in a closed
desktop computer without additional cooling and you really need to
keep an eye on the temperature.

Len
Sitting here with the side door of my DA open because it generates too
much heat to be stable with a dual 1.2GHz processor and 4 HD, 2 x 120
GB IDE and 500GB and 1TB SATA drives.