On Sep 21, 2009, at 3:05 PM, Sam Macomber wrote:

> Speaking of ATi cards.
>
> I've got a G5 version Radeon Pro 9600 64MB card that has the pins
> taped to work in my Quicksilver 733.   It works,  but usually it does
> not want to work on startup, screen does not turn on.  but if I hit
> the reset a few seconds after the ethernet links up(router on my desk)
> it works.    It'll work fine after that, I can sleep the computer,
> etc.      it's only on cold restart.
>
> any ideas as to why that is?    I've pulled it out for now, but my
> wife called me at work annoyed because web images and and such were
> sluggish so she wants the 9600 back in but I don't like having to hit
> the reset button when I start the machine up...    I'm guessing power
> issue,  has a 1.8GHz upgrade, ATA card, USB 2 card and three HDDs, I
> could be wrong though.
>
> -sam

I have the same card in my DA with a QS 867 processor. I have the
same issue randomly. I can go for months with it booting fine off of
the Radeon, then it will boot fine, but no video. After start up with
no video, I give it time to load all the startup apps, hit the power
key and return and it shuts down normally.

The kludge I have wound up with is the following:

I picked up a cheap Rage pci video card off the swap list and
installed it.
When I get no video on startup, after shut down I disconnect the DVI-
VGA cable from the Radeon and connect my vga monitor to the Rage.
Start up off the Rage (Radeon is still installed, just nothing hooked
to it).
After normal startup, shut down and reconnect monitor to the Radeon.
99%+ of the time, it boots fine and I go on my merry way with the
accelerated graphics of the 9600.

Sometimes I have to repeat the above.

There have been times I have had to do the above just once, there
have been other times when I have had to do this every day for a
week. Then I can go a couple of months before I need to do it again..

Len