> Date: Wed, Sep 23 2009 2:46 pm
> From: "i...@sajego.net"
>

> On Sep 23, 2009, at 7:17 AM, dorayme wrote:
>

>>> Date: Tues, Sep 22 2009 6:48 pm
>>> From: "i...@sajego.net"
>>>

>>> I'm moving to a much smaller apartment in March, and I won't have
>>> space for both a TV and a monitor, so I'm trying to figure out
>>> how to
>>> make one work as both.
>>
>> Especially if it has speakers, the simplest is to plug in a set-top
>> HD digital TV box (they come in at under $(Aust)39 here in Australia.
>> They are very small in footprint, (like a Mac mini about). Be nice if
>> your monitor has an S-Video port or other common one these days
>> besides the VGA or DVI (which latter you can leave plugged in to your
>> computer).
>>
> I've been thinking about going with a Samsung 26" TV,

I thought you wanted to save space and go with what you have. I
suggested a set-top box because they are small in footprint, cheap
and have the tuner you need.)

> which will run
> me about $400+tax USD, which will definitely have speakers and I can
> get locally.  When you say set-top box, do you mean like an digital
> to analog converter box?  Or are you talking about something else?

Maybe you don't have them in US? In Australia, TV is moving away from
analog and the free to air stations are broadcasting in Digital and
HD Digital. To receive the signals on an old analogue TV many people
use a set top box to receive the digital and deliver to the TV. But
they are also good to deliver to LCD digital monitors. They have
tuners that are like the tuners in modern digital TVs. But if you
*already have* a monitor, a tuner is all you need more. The arial you
rig up, the speakers too from ports in the back of the set top boxes.

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Set-top_box>

--
dorayme