I did try the module in all three slots, yes, and it does have 8 chips
on the back as well...
Looks like the only way is to buy stuff marked as "for Mac also".

Thanks for all the response, and right, I had forgotten about that
little Dutch company with their great RAM info.
Only, I don't find the detailed specs for G4s: it seems G3 is the
latest model that they have info for:
http://www.chipmunk.nl/DRAM/WhatIsAllowed.htm

By the way, I got this module for 10 USD, so it's not a great loss.
Chipmunk offers its 512MB modules for 59 Euros each, excluding VAT...!