On Oct 14, 2009, at 9:17 AM, Geke wrote:

> Len, I know it won't work.
> What I meant is that I'm going to find out which specs a stick should
> have to work in my G4.
> Geke

Any regular Low Density stick will work. It can not be registered,
that is for server memory and has different keying so it won't even
fit, iirc.

Also, there is ECC (Error Correcting Code) memory out there.
Primarily for servers also, but many systems can use it. Some people
have problems with it when they mix ECC and non-ECC memory. I have
not had any problems using ECC in my DAs.

So, to sum up:

Low Density, Non ECC, Non Registered -- Good for any Mac
Low Density ECC Non Registered    Probably good
High Density, any type, Not usable
Registered, Any type, Not usable

There is also a timing spec. CL2 and CL3 relates to pc133 ram. Either
one will work in your Mac. There MAY be a barely measurable speed
boost using CL2 over CL3. Notice I said measurable, not noticeable.
The speed difference is really not noticeable unless you are doing
hard core, high end, memory intensive stuff (and at that point, why
still use a G4?). Some PC100 memory is rated as CL2 and works as
PC133 as the slower CL3 rating. Basically, you do not need to worry
about CL ratings, but they are there for the true memory geeks.

As to the memory configuration (64 x 4, 32 x 8, 64 x 64), I have
rarely seen that description accurately correspond with whether a
stick is high or low density, so directly ask the seller if it is
high or low if they do not list Mac compatibility.

FWIW, Many Dell OptiPlex systems that use pc133 also require low
density, so if the seller mentions that system, it has a better
chance of working with a Mac.

HTH,
Len