Ok system is back up and running Osx tiger -

Was on "Open Firmware" screen and would not exit despite all attempts to
reset Pram, Nvram etc.

Removed all memory - machine would not boot - so put back in one stick and
voila - now all sticks in at 2 MB and system seems happier -- lots of drive
noises now and will try to clean rest of dust out and eventually upgrade to
G5 when I can,  but for now I will look to replace Radaeon card fan so I can
use my cinema display - and update and use the Sonnet processor upgrade.

IF this ends up crashing again - I'll see if I can at least move over to a
Gigabite Ethernet system or something a bit heftier.

Thanks to all

Erik