On Oct 26, 5:59 am, Justin The Cynical <cyni...@penguinness.org>
wrote:
> Silverhammer wrote:
> > Hi all,
>
> > I have a G4 Gigabit Ethernet dual 500 I'm looking to speed up for
> > cheap.
> > I found a PowerMac G4 800 MHz CPU from a working Quicksilver 2002.
>
> > Questions:
>
> > - Will this cpu work in the GigEthernet?
>
> > and
>
> > - Will it be faster, or would the GigE be faster because it has 2
> > processors?
>
> > also
>
> > - if it will work & is faster, any special tools/supplies/skills
> > needed for the swap?
>
> Question 1:  Will it work?
> Yes it will, but it would require some modifications for the extra 12
> volt line that powers a QS CPU card, and one for the motherboard/case
> (the location of the CPU card on machines previous to the digital audio
> are in a location that makes using a newer CPU card an interesting
> proposition)
>
> Question 2: Will it be faster?
> It will, kind of.  You are looking at two different types of
> performance.  If you do multiple things at once or runs programs that
> can deal with multiple CPU's/threads, the dual /might/ be faster.  If
> you primarly use programs that do not make use of multiple
> CPU's/threads, the QS CPU /might/ be marginally faster.
>
> I say /might/ for two reasons:
>
> One, early QS CPU's did not have any L3 cache.  This is a huge
> performance hit.
>
> Two, the QS runs the CPU with a memory bus speed of 133 MHz, same with a
> DA.  Your machine predates the DA, which means that it runs the memory
> bus at 100 MHz.  This affects the CPU because that bus is one of two
> things that directly affect the speed of the CPU (memory bus AKA the
> front side bus and the CPU multiplier).  Your current machine runs 100
> MHz memory and a 500 MHz CPU.  Figure that is a multiplier of five.  The
> QS CPU you are mentioning runs at 800 MHz.  Divide that by 133 and you
> get just over 6 (6.01503 yadda).  So assume a multiplier of 6 and that
> CPU, assuming that you are able to modify the case, potentially board,
> and power lines, would run at about 600 MHz.
>
> Yes, the CPU multiplier can be changed, but it requires some steady
> hands and the ability to work with surface mount electronics.  Not for
> the faint of heart.
>
> Question 3:  Any special skills?
> Well, I would think that if you understand the above, you already know
> the answer to this.  :-)
>
> Search around using words like quicksilver and cpu, there are a lot of
> sites that have posts and pictures on this subject.

Thanks to everyone for the thorough responses.

I now have a new question . . .

What is an inexpensive way to boost performance on the GigE.
I've seen the aftermarket processor upgrades, but they're more $ than
I want to spend ($200-7500.
If I can find a working CPU pulled from another Mac, what would be a
good choice?

Thanks again,
Silverhammer