On Oct 30, 2009, at 3:13 PM, pdimage wrote:

> The display problems might be avoided and the card's life stretched
> out a while longer by underclocking - it's a last gasp effort
> though. I
> think the Mac Edition 9800 Pro was 350mhz core and 300mhz ram so it
> will
> easily come down to 9700 Pro speeds - 325 core/290 memory without
> much loss
> of performance. Aticcelerator can perform the underclocking.
>
> Pete

Having updated the ROM to the August 05 (130), I still had the same
problems. Then I re-read this, and it caught my eye. My stock
frequencies in ATIccellerator II are listed as Processor 378 MHz, and
Memory 337.50 MHz.  So I took your advice, and underclocked down to
the 9700 speeds you listed, and the problem went away.  I then,
slowly, brought them back up, evenly, until I got corruption again. I
then went back a step or two until I had a stable display. The
settings are now Processor 353.25 MHz, and Memory 315.00 MHz. Go
figure... Why would my card have the higher frequencies set in it?
And, will underclocking damage the card?

Thanks so much for the help everyone!

Peter