I should have been more thorough in my first post. When the G4's
began to quit the first thing I did was disassemble them so I could
clean everything, including the fan blades. (It is especially
important on the mirror door G4 to take out the little side fan that
blows air to the optical drive(s) because it plugs up underneath
where you can't see.) I removed, cleaned and tested the main fans.
They are working fine. The only thing I didn't tear down was the
power supply, which has a fan (or maybe two?). The mirror door G4's
have an air intake in the front bottom that is not visible without
lifting up the front of the computer and this is a major plug-up hazard.

        I have a little computer vacuum, made to get lots of suction into
tight places. It really cleans. Both my mirror door G4's are almost
as clean as they were  new. But the quit problem didn't go away until
I installed the oversize Cyclone fans in the upper PCI slots.

         I want to revert back to the original firmware which revved up the
fans and made a lot of noise.  If I can't do that I am going to
install super duper external 110 volt fans on the outside rear. I
used these old fans on Apple 9600's that had been upgraded with five
hard drives. These fans really howl. Luckily I am hard of hearing.

        I'm convinced these two G4's, at least, need more cooling.