At 6:56 PM +0200 11/10/2009, Baha Ata wrote:
>are there any good if not better alternatives for Time Machine?

So far you and Bruce are the only two folx I know that haven't had
major TM fooage.  By "major" I mean that TM farks so badly that it's
necessary to erase the whole backup volume.

That being said....

AFAIK, there are no products except Time Machine that fully hook into
OS X to provide the event driven incremental backups.  All other
backup products simply do their incremental work (take a snapshot) at
the time you schedule (run) them.

The two frontrunners these days are CarbonCopyCloner (CCC) and
SuperDuper!.  My current preference is for CCC.  We've had quite a
few threads on the LEM lists discussing these products.  If you're
interested in them, you should search first.

Note here that we're talking about *backup* softwares, not
*synchronization* products.  Sync is very different from backup - it
creates a hot copy of the current file, not a time-based backup into
which you can dig to recover things.   Dropbox uses OS X's event
driven mechanism to see file changes that it needs to sync'd up into
its cloud (encrypted on Amazon S3).   (and then Dropbox blurs the
line between sync and backup because it supports versioning - you can
go into your account on the Dropbox web site and retrieve previous
versions of your files.)

- Dan.
--
- Psychoceramic Emeritus; South Jersey, USA, Earth.