In a message dated 11/22/09 6:44:03 PM, janespra...@comcast.net writes:

> Is it possible to connect to the internet wirelessly with an old G3 iMac?
> If so, how do you do it?
>
> At present, I think using an Ethernet cord is the only way. But I am
> hoping that I am wrong.

There are three ways:

1) if you have the Slot-loading Imac G3, as mentioned previously, you can
obtain an 802.11b Airport card and an adapter board for it... they are
regularily on Ebay.

2) if you have the tray-load Imac G3, it cannot accept the Airport card,
but it can use a 802-11g USB wirelsss adapter.   My daughters each have one
with their iMacs; one is a Belkin and the other is a AirExtreme.   There are
several makes I believe...

3) if you happen to either have already, or can get one easier, a wireless
ethernet bridge also has to be included.   It's a stand-alone device that
connects to the iMac via the ethernet port, and allows it to send/receive
wirelessly.

Craig W.
The Texas’Dawg,
Houston, TX – Atlanta, GA

Pmac G3 Beige with 500mhz processor
iMac Summer ’01 600mhz, 1gb RAM, Tiger
iMac TL with Sonnet FW upgrade, “Purple Reign” Panther
Custom-made G3 rack server w/ TL Imac parts w/ Sonnet FW Upgrade
[20-odd iMac G3s that I donate to kids & organizations]