Well maybe that is your experience Kris but the three people I have spoken to
since have said Leopard ran
1) as fast as Tiger on a MDD dual 1GHz ( not faster but then not slower either )
2) noticeably slower on a MDD single1.25 GHz
3) noticeably faster on a Powerbook 1.33 GHz
All these were fresh installs after reformatting on the same hard drive and the
same (mostly already maxxed) Ram.

Why faster on a powerbook than a desktop ? Beats me.
I think it can come down to individual models too. Leopard may just not like
certain configurations although that flies in the face of most logic.

Certainly none of this would put me off installing Leopard over Tiger on a PPC
Mac.
Besides try it for a while and if you don't like it, wipe the HD and reinstall
Tiger.

As for my Pismo , well I stand by my claim that it appears 10-15% faster with
the newer faster HD.
Note this had nothing to do with L vs T in my case but just straight
performance gains in the same OS as a comparison. Tiger on my old 12Gb HD (
5400 RPM ? )was slow but much improved in the new 7200RPM HD.

Stewie