On Dec 17, 1:56 pm, Kris Tilford <ktilfo...@cox.net> wrote:
> On Dec 17, 2009, at 12:49 PM, Da'Birdman wrote:
>
> > First, I'm amazed at the dual G4 processor for a G3 beige or B&W!
> > I've never seen these before!  Way cool!  I wonder if any of them are
> > still around. . .
>
> Yes. I too am amazed. I actually own several XLR8 CPUs, and never saw
> one of these units. I suspect they don't work well with OS X since all
> the XLR8 info on the internet is about use with OS 9. I searched the
> xBench archives for all Mac models that can use this upgrade and not a
> single one was reported. I'd think that if this theoretically most
> powerful CPU available worked with OS X that many of them would be
> reported in the benchmark archives. If anyone has OS X experience with
> the XLR8 MPe dual-processor ZIF upgrade in the Beige, B&W or Yikes,
> please enlighten us.

Okay, here's the link to the old MacGurus discussion.  I think that
the OP has a pre-release model.  I'm not sure if the thing ever made
it to actual production.

<http://69.36.171.163/forums/archive/index.php/t-14305.html>

The arrangement isn't clear until you get down to around the 11th
post.   There is becomes clear that the XLR8 MPe ZIF carrier plugs
into the X500 or X600 CPU slot.  The Mach Velocity card is the card
that enables dual slots.  It has a single ZIF compatible pin array at
one end and two ZIF sockets at the other end, where the ZIF/CPU cards
go.

The Mach Velocity can plug directly into a machine with a ZIF socket,
or into a Carrier ZIF and then into an x500 or x600 CPU socket.   At
first there were different Mach Velocity cards for the different
models of computer, but they had planned to integrate the abilities
into a single model of card.  I don't think they ever got to the
revision 2 though.

Jeff Walther