I have been looking at the Macbook Pros and Macbook. The latter white
keyboarded and white plastic one I like better from a price and looks
point of view but it has no FW port, the only feature that I am
thinking I don't want to not have.

But really, can one get by fine (even if it is a bit slower) with
mere USB for purposes of backing up to an external HD?

What about problems making the backup bootable. Not asking for
details now, just yes or no or 'with great difficulty' type answers.
With FW, I presumably can prepare an external FW drive on another
desktop Mac which one can use as boot for a Macbook Pro, but this is
not possible or so easy with a Macbook, right?

--
dorayme