"I think you will be crippled without firewire."

Maybe - maybe not.  I not only do not use firewire but only use desk top Macs,
and adhere to the theory of 'semper paratus' (always prepared)  with the master
HDs not screwed in place but just residing in situ and do so for this reason.
Once I shut down the CPU(s), It takes me less than 2 minutes to R&R internal
master HDs and switch them from computer A to computer B assuming in the
example you suggested that there is a computer B.

On the theory that something inimical somewhere, sometime might occur that I
can't think of now does not therefore require me to use firewire as that same
nebulous argument can be used to stop using firewire and switch back to being
hard wired via cable.

In your reasoning you've probably inadvertently employed a mix of several
logical fallacies.  Here are some of them:

1- the red herring (not on point),

2- equivocation (could be true or not for either firewire or no firewire),

3- assumptions (that it is true but not for firewire),

4- proof by lack of evidence (that it is true but not for firewire),

and so on.

The point of being a good samaritan in giving advice is to try to give
equitable and ethical advice and not offer just an incomplete and a partial
modeling of what is possible.  It is not helpful to not mention that the
solution offered is offered to avoid an improbability or that an alternate
solution is available or that the status quo is not of lesser but is of equal
consideration.

For example isn't it well known that HDs eventually die and go to disk heaven
(or hell) and that the data and software on those HDs can and do die with the
HD?  That realization is certainly not a reason for advising not to use HDs but
it is a reason for advising that HDs be backed up periodically and it is a
reason for being cognizant of a want or need to arrange to monitor the status
of an HD using SMART Utility or equivalent so as to have better knowledge to
predict when an HD should be replaced before it dies. Notice that I do not
suggest how one cna know that but merely furnish the means to make a better or
more comfortable evaluation.

In responding to the original issue raised, the solution is not necesssarily to
get rid of cables and switch to firewire but in switching to firewire to also
CONSIDER the advisability of retaining the abillity to restore the original
configuration or to install both if ossible and when one of the two dies use
the alternative.

Mel