I have a couple of points to add to this thread:

In my experience with a Sonnet Sata card you can boot both G3 B&W and G4 AGP's
from it (panther and tiger), BUT in the case of the G3 only if its a simple
volume. I tried to boot from a raid0 pair and it didn't work, but it does on a
G4.

The 32/64 pci slots work fine with PCI-X (not to be confused with PCIe, which
is totally different). Also the Sonnet card will work in the 66MHz 32 bit G3
B&W "video" pci slot. Since a 64bit PCI card will work twice as fast as a 32bit
one there is a definite advantage to using a PCI-X card even if it's not being
used at it max rated speed.

I have used an Adaptech Firewire 800 PCI-X card (can't remember the model) in a
G4 AGP 64bit PCI slot, which I then connected to an external FW800 sata drive
box with two drives in the boxes raid0 configuration (Galaxy Metal Gear Hard
Drive Enclosure). I used Carbon Copy Cloner to copy the internal drive to it
and found that after booting from it, I didn't notice any significant reduction
in usability.

For a while I had a driveless Mac at work and a Mac at home and just moved the
external drive from one to the other for a seamless workflow :-) Try doing that
with a PC.