Jonas,
As one who has worked in a prepress printing facility for many years
and was in charge of large format printers and their
consumables, I can tell you a little about inks and inkjet cartridges.
I have 2 currently working inkjet printers at home (I'm
retired), both HPs. I have been buying bulk ink (both black and color)
forever, due to the fact that printer manufacturers
make their money on consumable products, especially ink, and because
it is not only prohibitively expensive for me to
buy new cartridges, I prefer to do simple things like refilling ink
cartridges myself.

I have found over the years that bulk ink can last a fairly long time,
if kept at room temperature, sealed well, and kept
out of the sunlight. I usually store my ink in a cardboard box, in a
cabinet in my computer room. I have used ink that
has been sitting around for up to 2-3 years without any problem,
either in the cartridge operation or in the final printed
product.

Also, with proper care and maintenance, an inkjet cartridge can last a
long time. I can usually refill a cartridge about
6-10 times before it finally just refuses to cooperate. One of the
main problems I have run into is the cartridge drying
out due to unuse, but this is easily remedied, again with the proper
"revival" techniques.

I buy my bulk ink from Inksell.com, a company I trust and have been
using for years. They have reasonable prices,
their instructions are easy to understand, they will assist you with
any questions or problems you are having, and
they have "specials" from time to time on their products. I would
highly recommend them for your ink/cartridges needs.

Hope this helps.
Bill