At 12:01 AM -0500 12/25/2009, Erik Hancock wrote:
>Was at 300Mb now at 6.58GB after shutting down browsers and
>restarting.  That's quite a big cache  - will try to reopen sites
>and shee what happens.

300 Megabits?

 From where are you getting these numbers?

>In activity Monitor - about 102% of Cpu goes to the Browser -  not
>sure how that happens.

Change it to update less often.  The usage calc when not averaged can
include spikes.

>Left off the machine info since I thought that was extraneous.

The devil is always in the details.  Apps behave differently on
different machines and OSen.

>G4 AGP/1.5GHz/ 2MB ram/OS 10.4/ Safari 4.04

Just 10.4?  Not fully updated?

>No real add-ons for safari -  Sometimes use Firefox with ad blocker.
>Any other reccomendatiosn for add-ons?

I use ClickToFlash and SafariBlock.  The former puts Flash under
control immediately. The latter an older/grumpy inputmanager, that
will block any url you feed it.  It comes with a massive list, that I
find slows things down, so I just have it use my own short custom
list.

>I usually have 10 or so pages with multiple tabs.  I also tend to
>leave the app open rather than closing and reloading frequently -
>but it happens about one a week due to app freezing - now think it
>is due to lack of HD space - which seems odd for this app to be
>using so much space.

If you were dealing with just Safari, then leaving it running for
such a long time would be fine.  But you're not.  There be Flash
here.  And Flash - besides chewing memory and cpu even when
supposedly "idle", has some serious memory leaks.  The only way to
clear the leaks is to quit the browser now and then.

FWIW,
- Dan.
--
- Psychoceramic Emeritus; South Jersey, USA, Earth.