300 Mb (bytes) was free space avail on disk - info from in finder windows
and activity monitor - After clean up went to 8+ GB - Installed flash
blocker and reopened all windows and it is at 7.7 GB right now.  So yeah I
had over 8 Gb in disc cache - that seems unusual.

Yes the system is 10.4.X fully updated - was just shorthanding to
distinguish from 10.5 and 10.6.  Not sure if there is any difference in how
they work on this particular point.

Act monitor is on 2 sec calcs - so not really spiking - just seems to be all
those damn flash ads running in the background of non active pages.

Thanks
Erik