Hello,
My old G4 Sawtooth is being phased out. Been having HD problems for a while.
The HD I want to recover files and "stuff" from is a Maxtor 60gig 5400. I
had two HDs. The other was a 10g Maxtor 7200. I made the 10g my boot drive
and used the larger for storage. The 60  kept getting worse and worse.
Making a lot of runup noise and pings and pops. Sometimes it wouldn't mount.
I would then let it cool and could occasionally get it back onto my desktop.
I retrieved as much as I could with a little jump drive a little at a time.
Mostly music and pictures left. Bought an 8GB Lexar today to try to get the
last bits off. BUT so far today no luck in mounting the 60g. I've booting
with OS CD, tried as best I could with Disk Utility. It tells me it needs
repair; it tries to repair, then says it can't; and subsequently tells me I
need to maybe use a third party disk utility.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.     Jim