On Jan 8, 1:17 pm, Mike Linnett <mike.dogho...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> On 8 Jan 2010, at 19:31, Norm <nrow...@roadrunner.com> wrote:
>
> >  When I type "reset nvram then reset all" it cycles back to open
> > firmware.
>
> Sorry if this sounds stupid, but just to be clear, you're typing them
> as seperate commands, so "reset nvram" (press enter), then type "reset
> all" (press enter)?

This is the correct Open Firmware NVRAM reset procedure:

<http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1812?viewlocale=en_US>

Prompt /Command/Press [Enter] key:

0> reset-nvram[Enter]
0> set-defaults[Enter]   (optional step)
0> reset-all[Enter]

After each command is correctly entered, Open Firmware will issue an
"OK". If it doesn't, you have not entered the correct command. When
the last command is executed, the NVRAM is reset, and the Mac reboots
automatically. If yours doesn't, then you made an error in typing the
commands. Redo the sequence of commands to reset the NVRAM. If you
need to enter a command to reboot the system, which you will NOT if
following the above procedure, it is not "boot", it is:

0> mac-boot[Enter]

You can test the PRAM battery to check the state of charge, which must
be 3.6V +/- 3%. If you don't have a digital multimeter, simply unplug
the system power cord, and remove the PRAM battery, reconnect the
power cord, start the system. It should boot up, and give an error
message about the "Time and Date" settings being wrong. Set the time
and date, and restart. If it boots without error, you know there is
nothing wrong except you have a dead/dying PRAM battery. Unplug the
system power cord and all external cables. Replace the old PRAM
battery with a new one, and press the PMU switch once, and once only,
immediately releasing the momentary contact PMU switch. Wait a minimum
of ten seconds, then reconnect the system power cord, then all other
external cables. Start the system. All should be well.

If not, try cold booting with the [Shift] key held down. Once you
reach the Desktop, restart the system. If no help, try booting the OS
DVD/CD, and repairing the HDD with Disk Utility. Restart and boot to
the HDD. If all is well, Repair Permissions using Disk Utility from
the HDD.

If your USB 2.0 PCI card is still not recognized/functioning, try
moving it to a different PCI slot (while you have it out, clean the
edge card connector contacts with a pencil eraser to remove
oxidation). If your card is not natively supported under the OS you
are running, but requires a driver to function, reinstall the card's
driver. If that fails, do a back-up of your HDD, then an archive and
install from the OS DVD/CD.