From: Norm <nrow...@roadrunner.com>
Date: Sat, 09 Jan 2010 14:14:39 -0500
To: "g3-5-list@googlegroups.com" <g3-5-list@googlegroups.com>
Subject: re:replacement

My G4 gigabit has stopped working. I have an OWC 1000gz processor and 2
gigabytes of ram. Also an ATI 9800 mac pro video board. When it turns on the
power button does nothing. It will boot into open firmware. When I type
"reset nvram then reset all" it cycles back to open firmware. If I type
"boot" I get an immediate kernal panic. The power button does nothing. Have
to unplug and then replug. I have 3 hard drives and a firewire drive. I'm
hopping that all my files are intact. I assume I must replace the logic
board or the mac. Which G4 would allow me to plug in my hard drives? I'm
using OS 10.5.8 and would like to purchase an intel mac but find the price
prohibitive. Mac was running very well until about 4 days ago.
Update: I hold down the "T" key and now have a screen with a nuclear sign.
The re-set button now restarts the mac into open firmware. Again if I type
reset-nvram then reset-all the mac restarts in open firmware. If I type
"boot" it restarts but goes to a kernal panic. So I seem to have my ATI 9800
Mac pro working and parts of my main boars. I have 4 ram sticks which I have
tried one at a time.
Again, what should I do about replacing my Mac?
Norm