On Jan 20, 2010, at 9:20 AM, Mac User #330250 wrote:

I've heard that before a lot from different sources. But why is that?

I recieved a QS 2001 733 a year ago or so and upgraded it to be a Dual-800 with no problem at all. The system board is okay as is the power supply. At
least until now.

It was running regularly a few hours a day (with days off inbetween) for years, before that it was in an office where it was propably running all day
during working hours.

After such a long time I cannot imagine that there is a hidden weakness somewhere. IMHO if it hasn't broken down by now, it never will - at least not
for the "typical QuickSilver problem".

A professor here bought one new in 2002 or so, used it daily for 8-10 hours, and then turned it off and stuck it in a corner of his office when he got a new iMac about six months ago. Never had a problem with it.

Last month he decided he would replace his crappy old PC at home with the QS, so he asked me to make sure it was up to date and to install the new version of Office on it.

Deader'n a doornail.

After testing it was the power supply, which had simply died just sitting there for a few months.

--
Bruce Johnson
University of Arizona