yeah, i already checked the activity monitor hoping it would tell me
something.  only one bar appeared, confirming what sys prof was
telling me.  i swapped the processors, and the machine would power on,
but not boot.  it froze at the grey apple screen, fans running full
blast.  returned processors to original positions and it went back to
it's old single-processor-working self.  i'm left with some weak out-
of-the-box thinking here.  i got this from a guy who was a real hog.
first off, he lied about the computer's condition, never mentioning
that one processor was dead.  then, when i got the thing, the outside
of the case looked like it was covered with pecker tracks.  opening it
up, i found the innards were coated with a thick layer of dust.  i
have 12 yr old machines that i use daily that look spic-n-span
compared to this.  so i noticed that the heatsink on the lower
processor has a lot more dust on it than the other.  and, when the
computer is on, the lower front fan is operating at a much higher rpm
than the upper fan, which is barely coasting.  i'm guessing that this
means the lower processor is the one doing the work, and the upper one
is doing nothing.  however, after powering off, the upper heatsink is
noticeably warmer to the touch.  still, i think my best guess is that
the lower processor is the one working.  unless someone can come up
with a more definitive method of determining which is which, i'm going
with that.

so.  anyone got a 2.0 processor for sale, and a copy of the
appropriate ASD disc for the thermal calibration?

thanks to all.