On 3/5/10 5:12 PM, Kris Tilford wrote:
On Mar 5, 2010, at 4:44 PM, Kasey Smith wrote:

we can't get DSL at our house, but people no more than a quarter of a
mile away can.

The phone companies can tell you that you're not eligible for DSL when
you may be eligible. Under common carrier laws, the phone companies are
supposed to share their lines with other carriers & ISPs. A friend in
Portland, Oregon was a lifelong AOL user, and wanted to get AOL DSL. He
called AOL, and was told it wasn't available in his area, he was too far
from the junction. I think his phone company was Quest or something, but
he called them directly and asked if he could get their Quest DSL and
they said sure, no problem. He caused a minor stink because of this, but
eventually was able to get his AOL DSL setup and it worked perfectly.
You may have the same scenario with the people 1/4 mile away that are
getting DSL and you can't? It may be your choice of ISPs, and the phone
company acts as a "gatekeeper" and closes the gate for anyone except
themselves.

It can also vary widely depending on just how the copper is routed. The people 1/4 mile away may have a straight shot to the central office. Your copper MIGHT be going away from the CO to get to a junction box before it starts heading to the CO.

When I first had DSL installed the phone company had to make several service calls to get it done, each time kicking up to the next tier of service people. At the time they were so busy the local company (PacBell, SBC, whoever they were at the time) was bringing in crews from around the country to do the work. They were having trouble finding a pair to run from the local box to my service entrance. I already had a second phone line that was going to carry the DSL service. But what was working well enough for voice and modem didn't seem to be cutting it for DSL. It turned out the "pair" was somehow wired via one wire each of two pairs. The local service guy didn't think much of the work by the out of town guys.

--
Clark Martin
Redwood City, CA, USA