At 7:12 PM -0600 3/5/2010, Kris Tilford wrote:
On Mar 5, 2010, at 4:44 PM, Kasey Smith wrote:
we can't get DSL at our house, but people no more than a quarter of a mile away can.

The phone companies can tell you that you're not eligible for DSL when you may be eligible.

The issue is the type of DSL service, and the length & quality of the copper line. Different DSLs work over different line lengths. Plus, as Clark mentions, your copper might not necessarily take a direct route to the nearest DSLAM or CO. Then there's the quality of the line: if your line is old, it's going to be noisy - so it might not even come close to supporting decent speeds.

Under common carrier laws, the phone companies are supposed to share their lines with other carriers & ISPs.

Except that the courts have been gutting the "line sharing" regulation.

It will be interesting to see if the upcoming "national broadband policy" includes it. Then we'll have to see how things work out between Congress and the Courts, as the FCC's jurisdiction over the whole mess is questioned.

My take: We'll screw this up by taking the low road that ensures the highest profit for the big telcos, and then we'll spend a few million bucks on a PR campaign to make us feel good about it. We are number 17! hoowa!

- Dan.
--
- Psychoceramic Emeritus; South Jersey, USA, Earth.