On Thu, Mar 11, 2010 at 6:46 PM, JOHN CARMONNE <carmo...@aol.com> wrote:

> Hi All
>
> I have a PM G5 Dual 2.7 8G RAM. It has a Radeon 9600 128 MB VRAM  chip set
> ATY,RV351 I have a VIZIO 36" LCD display.
> I would like to know if an upgrade of the card would result in better
> video, I only use it to watch DVDs I do not play any games. So if I would
> benefit by upgrading my card what should I try to buy, cheap I hope, also if
> an upgrade is the thing to do then I guess I could use the 9600 in my G4 MDD
> dual 1.25. Or butcher it and put it in one of the Cubes???
>
> JOHN CARMONNE
> Yorba Linda USA
> sent from my Wally 10.4.11

Since you have an AGP model, your options are somewhat limited. There are
two steps up available to you, the Radeon 9800 and Radeon X800. I'm not
familiar with any NVidia options; perhaps someone else can address that.
Flashed PC cards are also an option; according to some the flashing process
is simple, but my understanding was that it was pretty difficult. If you do
buy it from someone else, make sure you can return it if it's incompatible
with your system.

But this is ignoring one problem with your question; what exactly is wrong
with the video you're seeing on your TV? Is it blurry, are there anomalies
on the screen, is it too dim, etc? Have you hooked up a dedicated DVD player
up to the TV to get a sense of what the TV is capable of? The problem could
also be unrelated to the video card; if you're using an analog cable, you
could see a significantly inferior picture. It could also be the TV itself,
or perhaps the input that you're using. Perhaps you just need to change some
settings in System Preferences>Display. There are many variables to
consider.

So to review, it would be helpful if we knew: 1) which connector on your
Radeon 9600 are you using, 2) if you are using any adapters between the
computer and the TV, 3) which input on your TV you're using, 4) what kind of
cable are you using and most importantly, 5) what's wrong with the picture
you're looking at.

Eric