On Mar 18, 2010, at 4:35 PM, Dennis Myhand wrote:

Clark Martin wrote:
On 3/18/10 4:23 PM, Dennis Myhand wrote:
Wallace Adrian D'Alessio wrote:
Can anyone tell me, do my eyes deceive me or is this an ad for a 1966
" lampshade iMac doing iSight conferencing on the desk ?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/x-ray_delta_one/4431295044/#preview

--

That is an AT&T Video-Phone. We all knew we would all have one of those
in ten years. Another lie from the "Phonee" company.

Yeah, sometime next year when Apple rolls out the iPad 2.0 with a camera in it like it's supposed to have and when we get flying cars.

Which may take a little longer...

You used to be able to go to things like the New York World's Fair, or the larger state fairs, or even the Los Angeles County Fair and actually use one of those video phones, or see someone using it. There are some memories from my childhood which my misspent youth did not wipe out!

AT&T actually rolled it out in commercial service in 1970

<http://money.cnn.com/galleries/2009/news/0909/gallery.Gizmodo_gallery/4.html >

Here's some more info on the 1964 version:

<http://share.skype.com/sites/skypegear/2008/03/flashback_1964_low_quality_vid.html >

--
Bruce Johnson
University of Arizona