On 3/18/10 4:42 PM, iJohn wrote:
On Thu, Mar 18, 2010 at 7:23 PM, Dennis Myhand<dmyh...@suddenlink.net>  wrote:
That is an AT&T Video-Phone.  We all knew we would all have one of those in
ten years.

It was no lie, at least IMO. I'm sure the telco engineers sincerely
believed they would make it happen. And I'm also sure it all seemed so
very "next logical step" to them. An engineer is an engineer is an
engineer.

It's amazing to me that the VideoPhone actually did come to be. No
hover cars, but we did get the video phone. Of course, the telcos had
absolutely nothing to do with giving us video with a telephone call,
but that's no surprise, is it?

I think many people thought that the video phone was the next step but I think they missed an essential point, for day to day use many people don't want video. They know what the other person looks like (or don't at all care) and they want to be able to concentrate on other stuff. And then there is the whole "I'm not dressed right to be seen on the phone" (or dressed at all).

Sure, there's lots of uses for it but it's not a universal "must have".

--
Clark Martin
Redwood City, CA, USA