On Mar 20, 2010, at 10:03 AM, John Carmonne wrote:

I recently put a Tiger install disk DVD image on an external Firewire drive. I was able to boot from it when I first did this. Either it went bad or I'm doing something wrong here. Does anyone know of this method of installation?

Yes, I've experience this same issue on "some" cloned DVD installer images on HDs. You can boot once, and then it stops booting. I believe this is because the HD isn't locked as a "read-only" device. I've tried locking the HD via software using permissions to lock the entire HD or partition to read-only, and that has NOT worked for me on problematic HDs. I believe you can lock a HD to read-only via a jumper, but I've never tried that. For some reason this doesn't happen on all HDs, just some. It seems to be consistent, meaning ones that only boot once will continue to only boot once, and ones that boot more then once continue to stay bootable. It may be the OS version also, I think most all of the unbootable HDs were Tiger 10.4 PPC? Any better theories to explain this phenomenon? The only solution I found was a fresh clone, blessing the HD didn't help.