The Radeon 9800 series are about the best value for money.
The nvidias are faster ( 6800 and 7800s ) but also quite a bit more expensive
too.
I have a MDD with a flashed 9800XT - 256mb and while a hot running card , it is
a good performer.
If you go this route , remove the original fan that came on these 9800s and
boost it up to something better.
These cards burn out a lot as the original fans were quite poor and prone to
failure leading to the videocards being fried.

Stewie