On Fri, Apr 9, 2010 at 9:32 AM, Gorka L Martinez Mezo <g...@gmx.net> wrote:

>  You mention nothing about RAM or project settings nor about where you
>> placed
>> the files used as resource. All of this and more effects the speed and
>> reliability of an edit.
>> I have very little experience with iMovie but consider any version of FCP
>> be superior.
>> iMovie alone may account for your clip trouble.
>>

> That`s what I though! The machine was a 15in MacBook Pro with a 2,5GHz Core
> 2 Duo and 2Gb DDR3 RAM. I downloaded everything in the HDD, a 5400rpm 250Gb
> unit which at the tine was almost empty.

If such a machine has trouble handling even HD I would suspect a caching
memory error or a faulty install. Did you check for any updates to iMovie or
errors related to your problem?
Oh, wait ! The problem is perhaps the 5400 rpm Hard drive spin rate. 7200 is
usually considered the lower limit to edit in real time. Try using a USB
external or a big thumb drive as resource and work space.  Yeah I bet the
slow HD is the prob.

>  But are you sure you did not accidently unlink the audio and video tracks?
>> I can only assume that is what you mean when you say the clip was " out of
>> synch ".
>>
>> Try realigning them and relink them. Or simply reload the source or
>> redefine
>> the clip if it is part of a bigger clip.
>>
>> You could also search the history if available and spot the event where
>> the
>> condition was triggered. Just to try to prevent it happening again. Do you
>> save versions?
>>

> I downloaded the clips from the video camera (a Sony AVCHD camerad with a
> 120Gb HD) into the HDD, loaded them with iMovie and tested them. All
> reproduced OK. Them I proceded to edit them and paste the complete clip. In
> some parts I turned off the original audio and included a new soundtrack
> from my iTunes library. The raw project worked flawlessy. Problem was
> exporting it to any video format. It took about an hour to process and I had
> the same problem with any format I tried: around min 15 the sound became out
> of sync with the image, garbling about four minutes of the clip. I tried to
> rearrange it, moving the problematic clip around, loading it again from the
> video camera.... to no avail.
>
> I suspected it was a problem with that clip.... until I mounted perfectly
> under Final Cut Pro.

There are so many control gadjets and some are small and " touchy" sometimes
you just pass over a control and the audio/video unlink or some other
problem occurs.

Histories and project versions as well as saved renders along the way take
up a lot of space. But depending on the importance of the project and the
work involved it can be worth the effort. After a project is over I export
them to DVD ( if valuable) and then clean the drive space. Sometimes just
exporting an EDL is enough. And then trashing the rest.

--
Adrian D'Alessio aka; Fluxstringer

  fluxstrin...@gmail.com
  http://www.facebook.com/FluxStringer