At 1:41 AM -0400 4/20/2010, Mark Sokolovsky wrote:
I perfectly understand that Snow Leopard is not supported at all under the PowerPC architecture, but what if i modified the code in the system? I do see a way that I can take the code from Leopard and put it in snow leopard. Then integrate Rosetta into the system to run the intel programs. It's a longshot, but it just might work.

Not going to happen the way you suggest.

There are major differences under the hood of Leopard and Snow Leopard. A lot of those differences are specialized bits to take advantage of the x86/Core architecture features. So very few of the components are interchangeable.

Rosetta won't help you. It is a *limited* ppc->x86 JIT translator that functions in user mode. No kernel mode. And it doesn't do g4 or g5 or altivec instructions, much less x86->ppc.

IF you had the full source code of OS X - Darwin, Aqua, and all the other bits (apps too!), then you could do a ppc build. All that would be left then would be to rewrite *all* the x86-only code that has been developed - dynamic mode switching (64 to 32 and back), the scheduler, kernel extensions, etc. [*]

[ow. I'm pre-coffee. Brain cramp. Send Echo and a few other Dolls on a raid of Apple headquarters. Get into that secure vault where The Source is kept and copy the whole fricking thing onto a single USB memory stick in 3.2 seconds. Then escape - with guns blazing!]

It would be much easier to adapt a virtual machine that emulates the x86 environment, then boot real Snow Leopard into it. Of course, there would be serious performance issues... Microsoft's Virtual PC product comes to mind (bought from Connectix in 1993, munged to make it horrible, then terminated in 1996). It supported x86 VM environments on ppc Macs, into which you could boot DOS, Windows, and Linux (Red Hat, I think).

[*] Apple claims to have had OS X running on an x86 compouter all along. Given L'Jobs deep rooted desire to keep his options open, I'd be willing to bet a few billion quatloos that there are currently AMD based computers hidden away that are running Snow Leopard. Ditto for PPC based machines. Perhaps they aren't Macs - perhaps they're just modern PowerPC based machines. heh. Or perhaps they're POWER or CELL based systems... [Ask Echo to pick up a few of those on her way out].

Would that be illegal?

That much hacking into a copyrighted work... yea, that's a full-on derivative work - waaaaay beyond "fair use". Serious copyright violation.

- Dan.
--
- Psychoceramic Emeritus; South Jersey, USA, Earth.