On Tue, Apr 20, 2010 at 1:41 AM, Mark Sokolovsky <coolmar...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I do see a way that I can take the code from Leopard and put it in snow
> leopard.
> Then integrate Rosetta into the system to run the intel programs.

So you're thinking you are still going to use a lot of the Leopard
kernel for OS X but run some (??) of the app only (??) parts of Snow
Leopard using Rosetta?

Sounds like a project if you're into that sort of thing.

The memory that comes to mind is of a YouTube video of OS X hacked to
run on a Pentium 3 vintage laptop. The video pretty much just ran for
a few minutes showing a mostly unchanging boot screen. Eventually the
guy shooting it lost patience and just shut it down before the boot
even finished.

Lot's of things of technically possible. Heck, in theory you could run
Snow Leopard on a Turing Machine, no?

> It's a longshot, but it just might work. Would that be illegal?

Good Gravy! What in the world of corporate code is NOT illegal these
days? I expect just looking at an OS X install disc and thinking
inappropriate thoughts is illegal.

A more pertinent question is would anybody care enough to come after
you? There's no way to answer that for certain, of course, but I doubt
it. Not unless you succeeded beyond your wildest expectations AND
widely distributed the result. Even then Apple might not bother if it
turned out there were enough hoops to jump through that it discouraged
all but a small fraction of folks from actually using what you had
hacked together.

Apple ain't Microsoft. They have a different list of things they are
obsessively paranoid about.

-irrational john