Hi,
Sounds like you already found out what it needs: RAM, hard drive, etc.
If the computer doesn't have these things, it will not run or run
properly.
Find the model # and the specifications of what it needs and start
shopping around.
Do you have an OS X retail install disc? If not, Mac OS X 10.3 is a
descent OS to start with on a G4 500 - There's also a lot of cheap,
free, easy-to-use software for it on the web and to buy.
-Mike