On 4/22/10 3:50 PM, Jack Countryman wrote:
I'm tinkering with a g4/500 that started life as a server.  A friend got it
at some sort of auction, along with other gear...no history available.  It
seems to have come with no ram, hard drive, etc.  I have it running, but
find that the internal fan does not shut off when you shut the machine
down...the fan just keeps running till the power cord is pulled.

Anyone have ideas of how to fix this?  Thanks.

First step might be an exorcism. The fan staying on is weird, it's the first time I've heard of something like that.

Reseting the PMU is the best idea I can come up with. I don't KNOW if it is related but it's my best guess.

IIRC the PMU reset on the G4 is a button on the logic board. There are two buttons, one turns on the computer, the other resets the PMU, they might be marked. Start with the power off and hit the button.

I wouldn't have thought the tickle power (what is one when the computer is off and is used to start the computer) wasn't enough to make the fan tick much less run. So, either it does provide more power or the power supply isn't being shut off when the computer shuts down.

--
Clark Martin
Redwood City, CA, USA