On Wed, May 12, 2010 at 10:13 PM, ll <mlitwin3...@att.net> wrote:
>  We  lost power yesterday. My quicksilver has been on a really
> good surge protector for two years. It wasn't enough this time
> however. If I push the on button,a light shows,flickers and dies. The
> machine never turns on. I am assuming my hardrive is fried. Am I right
> in assuming that I would have to replace the harddrive  and re-install
> the os?

The surge from power being restored is nothing that should cause any
of the electronics in your home a problem. If it were, then you'd
expect to find other casualties, no?

What you're describing to me doesn't sound like a hard drive failure
... or at least not the type of failure I'm familiar with. I don't
know if it is an option in your case, but what I would do is remove
the hard drive, mount it in an external enclosure of some kind, and
then see if I could access the files on it.

Frankly if all that happened was losing power and having it restored,
I would also wonder if you Mac is really dead. I suppose the power
supply could be dead, but I'd at least walk through some of the basic
"reset" procedures that have been mentioned on this list in the past.
What have you got to lose?

Though I suppose to be on the safe side you should try to save
anything on your hard drive before playing around with your Mac. If
you can access the data on the drive, back it up before doing any
other fiddling ... just in case.

-irrational john