At 7:13 PM -0700 5/12/2010, ll wrote:
We lost power yesterday. My quicksilver has been on a really good surge protector for two years. It wasn't enough this time

Hate it when that happens.

If I push the on button,a light shows,flickers and dies.

Check the PRAM battery. 3.6v 1/2 AA cell. If it's low/old/dead then replace it, wait 30 seconds, then try booting. ....That PRAM battery is what keeps the Power Manager (CUDA) running. If the PMU is down, the machine ain't booting. IF that battery is known-good, then the problem might be the power supply.

Am I right in assuming that I would have to replace the harddrive
and re-install the os?

No. If it was just the HD that died, the computer would BONG (self-test passed), try to boot, and eventually give you a complaint on the screen that it couldn't find a bootable volume.

- Dan.
--
- Psychoceramic Emeritus; South Jersey, USA, Earth.