I'm not sure exactly what you're asking, so apologies for posting some
thoughts & questions which many not be helpful.

On Thu, May 13, 2010 at 11:42 AM, Baha Ata <baha...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I got a powerbook and macbook pro... I have been using 2.5 inch
> external e-sata discs with express and pcmcia cards... My home folders
> on external e-sata discs while my system remain on internal discs.

This is just a tedious point of English usage. In my experience it's
much more common to use "disc" or "disk" with talking about optical
media such as DVDs or CDs. In this case you appear to be talking about
storing to 2.5" and/or 3.5" hard drives, not about optical discs.
Sometimes folks will refer to a hard drive as a disk, but the term
"hard drive" is IMO much clearer. Just a FWIW for possible future use.

> What you recommend or think on my usage...

Huh? To repeat myself, I am not sure what you are asking about here.

It sounds like you already have an eSATA external enclosure and SATA
drives which you successfully use with it. So what sort of information
were you hoping to get from the members of this list?

> Lately i am thinking on put 2 fast and big HD on my 3.5 inch esata
> cases... and replica with my 2.5 inch mobile devices... For faster
> speed but no mobility.

You would want to get drives with the newest tech ... by which I mean
using disk platters with the highest bit density ... for the best
performance. What size drives you go with is a separate question which
would depend on other factors such as how you intended to use the
larger drives. Whether or not to use 7200 or 5400 RPM depends more on
the performance of your eSATA adapters and the systems themselves.

7200 RPM will be somewhat faster. Whether or not it will be SO MUCH
faster that you notice a difference between them ... especially with
the older tech in the powerbook ... is a question I cannot answer.
There are other factors beyond the performance of the hard disk
itself. How fast is the memory (RAM) bandwidth? How much of the
theoretically available SATA bandwidth can the PCMCIA/Express card
adapter use?

If it were me, before doing anything else I'd try pulling the SATA
drive from the MacBook and booting it via eSATA. That would give you a
rough idea of what the experience might be like. I'm frankly not sure
you'd see a performance increase which was big enough to justify the
hassle of messing around with the external drives. (On the other hand,
if you just want to "play around" for the fun of it, then that's a
different matter, no? ;-)

> How can i make it happen? Any replication software exist
> for this kind of home folder replication in between discs?

Every other time I remember this question coming up someone
immediately jumps in to recommend the free version of CCC (Carbon Copy
Cloner). I suppose such loyalty is a good recommendation in and of
itself. I googled that phrase and here's (I think) a link to its web
site.
http://www.bombich.com/

While you can certainly use the free version) CCC, you don't need too.
You can use Apple's Disk Utility in both Leopard (OS X 10.5) or Snow
Leopard (OS X 10.6) to clone/copy a partition to another drive. When I
installed a larger hard drive on my MacBook this is how I migrated my
existing Leopard installation from the old to the new disk. I booted
form the old drive and then used the "Restore" function in Disk
Utility with the old drive as the source and the new drive as the
destination. Then I booted the from the new drive to verify it hard
worked.

Worked great and I didn't have to bother with installing any other
software. My personal opinion is that CCC appears to make more sense
if you intend to create and then continue to update a (bootable ??)
backup image of your drives rather than for doing a "one-time" copy of
your image to another drive.

-irrational john