----------  Original message  ----------
Subject: Re: Power Mac G5: how to repair a broken PSU?
Date:    Freitag 21 Mai 2010N
From:    Kris Tilford <ktilfo...@cox.net>
To:      g3-5-list@googlegroups.com

> In english the term is "capacitor" for "kondensator" and normally
> they're "popped" and clearly visible:

Shame on me. Sorry for that mistake.

> <http://www.mad-monkey.co.uk/resources/pchf/capacitor.jpg>
>
> In the photo the "popped" ones have the red arrows and the tops are
> "popped" upward, the 3 on left are still good with flat tops.

None of the capacitors look as if they were popped. So it must be something
else then – or I just overlooked it.

> Bummer. I'd strongly believe the loud BANG means your power supply is
> DEAD (for good).

If it doesn't do anything anymore, there must be some – hopefully small – part
that is broken. If this is the only damage, then the dead PSU could be easily
repaired (by a pro). I would just have to identify what is broken and what is
working. That's the hard part.

> Mine didn't make such a loud noise when it died for
> good, but I could smell it, and I could measure that the voltages from
> all the 5v & 3.3v lines were gone. You can probably measure them using
> this pinout:
>
> <http://img212.imageshack.us/img212/8477/g5psupinoutp1cn8.png>

Mine is a „Late 2005“ model, so the PSU looks different. There are 710 W for
the 2.0 GHz and 2.3 GHz Dual Core model and the 1000 W for the „Quad“ Dual 2.5
GHz Dual Core model.

Surprisingly mine, even though a Dual Core 2.0 GHz model, had a 1000 W PSU
installed.

> Most likely you're about 6 months too late for a free replacement from
> Apple:
>
> <http://www.apple.com/support/powermac/powersupply/repairextension/>
> <http://web.archive.org/web/20080722225628/http://www.apple.com/support/pow
> ermac/powersupply/repairextension/

Yeah, already tried that. The guy I was talking to on the phone, a german guy,
needed to ask his superior because I was too late for the free replacement. It
wasn't a big surprise that he then told me: „No.“ – I simply was 2½ months too
late.

> You may be able to use a much cheaper standard ATX power supply as a
> replacement:
>
> <http://damntechnology.blogspot.com/2009/02/rebuilding-powermac-g5-power-su
> pply.html

Does this also work for the „Late 2005“ model type PSUs?

> When Apple replaced my power supply under the extended warranty
> program they also replaced the logicboard and both CPUs. They told me
> this wasn't always necessary and the old ones were sent away to be
> checked out and re-certified if possible for use in future repairs,
> but they do each repair locally and it's cheaper to swap out the
> logicboard & CPUs with "known good" ones rather than test the old ones
> for possible damage "on the spot". I'm saying this because it's
> possible the blown power supply ruined your logicboard or a CPU, and
> your repair will be wasted time and effort.

So I would need to borrow a good PSU just to see if the logicboard and the CPU
are still good. This is a bad situation for me…

> I'd recommend looking for a cheap used Apple power supply (hard to
> find for cheap), or try the ATX conversion with a suitable wattage
> higher quality ATX unit, perhaps used also (game players are always
> selling old power supplies as they buy video cards that eat more &
> more power). It's a risk, but I'd probably try it myself. Good luck!

My guess is that such a project would be too big for me. I know where my
limits are and /reconstructing/ a PSU out of other parts definitely is out of
my reach. But thanks.

Cheers,
Andreas  aka  Mac User #330250