On Fri, May 21, 2010 at 8:23 AM, Mac User #330250 <macuser330...@gmx.net>wrote:

> Hello G-Group Readers!
>

> I have a problem with my G5 “Late 2005” 2.0 GHz Dual-Core Power Mac. About
> two
> months ago, as I was switching it on, I heard a loud BANG and only silence
> ever after. It plays dead ever since, I don't even hear the click when
> plugging it in.
>
> I figured the PSU must have died, most likely due to a blown condensator.
> But
> I'm not 100% sure.
>
> Since a new PSU is >150 $ (710 W as well as 1000 W) and most of them are in
> used condition, I figured I might as well try to fix the broken one I have
> at
> hand.
>

> It took me a while to figure out how to get the PSU out of the case, and
> now
> that I finally got to it, I find that there is no visible defect inside the
> PSU.

Look on the motherboard for burned or smelly components.

Have you used a multimeter to test the PSU ? If you try this look for
instructions PDUs do not like no-load conditions.

You cannot detect a rancid burn smell in the PSU ?

No blackened or brown parts ?

A used unit from the swap list will be much cheaper than a new one or having
it rebuilt. I don't know about converting a standard unit. you could try a
web search using the PSU swap out parameters.

It is doubtful you could repair it yourself. A zapped power handling diode
or condenser is possible. But again you would probably need to have a pro
solder it in. you have to find it first.

>From what you describe this machine should smell bad inside the case and /
or PSU . But the smell dissipates over time.

Such damage should be easy to see and smell.

--
Adrian D'Alessio aka; Fluxstringer

  fluxstrin...@gmail.com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/fluxstreamcommunication/